The three powerful hashtag categories are:
- Content Hashtags – These hashtags are directly related to a business’s product, service, industry, or area of expertise. They are hashtags that the content would naturally be associated with. For example, at C3 Media Network a content hashtag for us would be #WebsiteDesign or #WebsiteManagement
- Trending Hashtags – These hashtags already exist on social media and have grown in popularity among users. Using this kind of hashtag is only recommended if the post contributes value to the existing conversation. Otherwise, the business’s post is likely to be dismissed by users.
- Brand-Specific Hashtags – These hashtags are created specifically for a business. Using generic or trending hashtags can sometimes get a post lost amongst the hundreds of posts using the same hashtag. Creating a unique hashtag for a business to use with their posts helps with branding, contests, events, and other marketing campaigns. At C3 Media Network our brand-specific hashtag is #C3Media
Once the hashtag categories are understood, a business can start utilizing hashtags in their everyday posts. Below are some basic guidelines to help.
Do’s and Don’ts when using hashtags:
- Be original: try to add to the conversation
- Use multiple hashtags: the highest engagement levels on average are generated from the use of 9-12 hashtags
- Keep it organized: place hashtags at the end of the post caption
- Keep it short: lengthy hashtags detours users
- Overuse: avoid writing the entire post caption with one hashtag per word
- Try to hard: if a business does not fall under a certain hashtag, do not try to make it. Businesses should use hashtags that naturally fit
- Rely on the hashtag: make sure valuable content is being added to the conversation. A business could appear like they are just trying to follow the trends if they do not effectively communicate.
- “The Do’s and Don’ts of Hashtags.” Elocal Solutions, 30 Oct. 2017, elocalwebsolutions.com/2017/10/16/dos-donts-hashtags/.
- “How to Use Hashtags Successfully on All Major Social Platforms.” Instapage, 7 Jan. 2020, instapage.com/blog/how-to-use-hashtags.
- Team, Wix. “What Are Hashtags and How to Use Them on Social Media.” NoCodeBA, NoCodeBA, 22 July 2019, www.wix.com/blog/2018/02/what-are-hashtags-and-how-to-use-them-in-social-media/.